I want to make a really big ‘space’ part II

In part one I showed you some pics of the ‘space’ we were creating after a handy man had previously helped us take the wall out and leave minimal structural support. You can see in the pics below we have removed the 2-2×4’s that were the only support under the floor joists and also removed the upstairs toilets waste pipe. During the whole process we supported the joists in various places and relieved the pressure uniformly with a variety of 4×4 posts on 2×10’s and 2/8 tonne jacks. We then in one location put in a double 2×10 beam and in our problem spot put in a triple 2×12 beam. All seems to have gone pretty well so far and we were able to take alot of the belly in the joists out of the ceiling without incurring any damage to the walls up stairs.

The beam also has a dual function, one is obviously support, the other is to carry the new plumbing and ducting (the ducting previously terminated and thus rendering a bedroom without heat). The plumbing and ducting will run alongside the beam and then down the wall  – this is all then encased within the trim.

DSC_0032

As you can see from the above picture things have changed quite drastically – yes, the kitchen has gone. In part I the vertical plumbing and electrical was still in place. Now, obviously it has gone and our load bearing beam is in place. Within the plywood (which is giving our final dimensions) is the heating ducting and toilet waste pipe.

Looking in reverse in the picture below you can see another beam. This is a load bearing steel I beam. We also wanted to remove this so we have a continuous ceiling with no visual breaks. The only way to do this was to remove the beam (keeping everything supported of course) cut the joists so as to accomodate a laminate beam and give a flush ceiling. The final result is below.

DSC_0174DSC_0001

Removing a chimney

Our present project is a 1941 house. We’re doing various reno’s around the house. We decided to remove the central brick chimney stack which vents the equally as old furnace (that’ll be another story). By doing this we can then utilise the space where the chimney stack once was on three floors. This space will be added to the upstairs bathroom, the family room on the main floor and into the kitchen in the basement suite. True to our form of being recyclers the bricks are being saved for a potential patio (they’re a solid terracotta brick). If we don’t use them somebody will and of course we’ll be posting them on here. For the removal we brought in a subcontractor as he also had the roofing skills to seal up the hole up top. (with matching T lock shingles  – which are incidentally discontinued in small orders) We were going to run the new flu up the existing route (using a ‘b’ section – a double walled flu pipe). We then later decided that we would fit a high efficiency furnace (even higher than normal – which equates to 90%) which is then vented out the side wall thus allowing us to completely utilise the void left by the chimney. The removal took a day.

From the picture below you can see the exposed lath indicates how much we have regained in space in the family room and which also allows us to open up the doorway.

dsc_04002

Like wise below we can see the extra space we will take back in the upstairs bathroom and also a cupboard on the landing.

dsc_03962

…..and consequently in the basement (which is a tenanted suite) we can now take back the space next to the furnace where the chimney was.

dsc_0388